You know I'm all about wreaths these days so I was "all systems go" to try this nut wreath I saw in a
Martha Stewert magazine. I love how it looks on our front door!
I used a straw wreath for the base, 2 lbs walnuts, 1 lb almonds, 1 lb hazelnuts
1 lb pecans, and 1/2 lb brazil nuts (this is the amount I started with and I have
about 1 - 1 1/2 lbs various nuts left over)
I started by attaching the walnuts with a hot glue gun. I didn't feel I needed to completly cover the wreath,
just the front side and around the front edges so I gued the walnuts 2-3 across, with gaps inbetween.
First layer complete
Once all the walnuts were glued in place I started attaching the other nuts to fill in the gaps.
I used the larger nuts first (pecans & brazil nuts) and then the smaller nuts to fill smaller gaps
and add color (almonds & hazelnuts)
I really like how it turned out! I didn't like the burn blister I got from the hot glue,
but all in the name of DIY I guess :)
As I mentioned earlier I didn't worry about completely covering the sides of the wreath
with nuts, I think focusing on the front was enough.
Here it is on the front door! I like the size a lot. I feel like the bigger wreath base
was a great choice for the size of our double doors.
Funny story about trying to attach a wreath to our front door: You can't use a wreath hook, because there is a ledge between the screen door and the storm door. You can't use a command hook because the screen is on the outside. So... I ended up attaching an upside down command hook on the inside of the screen door and using a ribbon to hang the wreath. Not that you needed to know all that, but since I had to deal with it, I guess you should get to too!
The mix of browns the nuts provide really says "fall" and "Thanksgiving"
I love it!
P.S. I know I'm supposed to be re-capping my spider cookies and Halloween cake pops and I will ASAP as promised. I just wanted to share a November project since the month will be over b/f I can blink twice!